Funding sources for States, Tribes, and local jurisdictions

Funding sources from the Federal government

The Federal government’s many agencies and departments offer various forms of disaster assistance for States, Tribes, local jurisdictions, and non-profit organizations. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has the most well-known and widely used funding programs. 

From the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)  

  • FEMA’s Public Assistance Program provides supplemental grants to State, Tribal, territorial, and local governments and certain types of private non-profits so that communities can quickly respond to and recover from major disasters or emergencies. Through the program, FEMA provides supplemental federal disaster grant assistance for debris removal, life-saving emergency protective measures, the repair, replacement, or restoration of disaster-damaged publicly owned facilities, and the facilities of certain private non-profit organizations. The federal share of assistance is not less than 75 percent of the eligible cost. Use FEMA’s Policy Guide to understand all the requirements

  • Building Resilient Infrastructure and Communities (BRIC)  is a new funding source for pre-disaster mitigation that replaces the existing Pre-Disaster Mitigation (PDM) program. BRIC supports States, Tribes, and local communities to undertake hazard mitigation projects, reducing the risks they face from disasters and natural hazards. Applicants may include States, the District of Columbia, U.S. territories, and Tribal governments (federally recognized). Federally-recognized Tribal governments are those under the Federally Recognized Indian Tribe List Act of 1994. Each state, the District of Columbia, territory, and Tribal government (federally recognized) shall designate one agency to serve as the Applicant for BRIC funding. Each Applicant’s designated agency may submit only one BRIC grant application to FEMA. An application can be made up of an unlimited number of sub-applications.  Sub-applications can include hazard mitigation projects. 

  • Fire Management Assistance Grants are available to State, Tribal governments, and local governments to mitigate, manage, and control fires on publicly or privately owned forests or grasslands, which threaten such destruction as would constitute a major disaster. The Fire Management Assistance declaration process is initiated when a State submits a request for assistance to the FEMA Regional Director when a "threat of major disaster" exists. The entire process is accomplished on an expedited basis, and a FEMA decision is rendered in a matter of hours. The Fire Management Assistance Grant (FMAG) Program provides a 75 percent Federal cost-share, and the State pays the remaining 25 percent for actual costs. Eligible firefighting costs may include expenses for field camps, equipment use, repair and replacement, tools, materials and supplies, and mobilization and demobilization activities. 

  • FEMA’s Hazard Mitigation Grant Program provides funding to State, Tribal, local, and territorial governments so they can rebuild in a way that reduces, or mitigates, future disaster losses in their communities. This grant funding is available after a presidentially declared disaster. Use this checklist to prepare to apply

  • Hazard Mitigation Grant Program Post Fire is available to States, Tribes, and territories affected by fires resulting in a Fire Management Assistance Grant (FMAG) declaration on or after October 5, 2018, is eligible to apply. 

  • FEMA also has grants available to support dam safety and minimize earthquake risk.   

Funding sources from the State of California

The State also offers several funds for Tribes and local jurisdictions. 

From Cal Fire 

From California Office of Emergency Services (Cal OES) 

  • Cal OES is responsible for administering approximately $807 million in funds for homeland security, emergency management, public safety, and victim services programs, a majority of which are distributed to local and regional entities to enable the most effective prevention detection, response, and recovery efforts. One of Cal OES's most important missions is improving and enhancing local agencies'  capabilities through grant funding. 

From California Climate Investments

  • California Climate Investments is a statewide initiative that puts billions of cap-and-trade dollars to work reducing greenhouse gas emissions, strengthening the economy, and improving public health and the environment—particularly in disadvantaged communities.

For opportunities from other Federal and State agencies

Actions to take for State, Tribal, local government, and philanthropy 

  • Work together to ensure that all forms of government and non-profit organizations have the resources and capacity to learn about and apply for these funding opportunities.