To best serve frontline communities with your giving, please use the following best practices:
- Donate money, not things.
- Look for local organizations, mutual aid groups, and ways to give directly to survivors.
- Look for small, local non-disaster organizations. They are usually from the community and committed to staying there and doing whatever is needed.
- Look for organizations that are run by and serve frontline communities.
- Have zero requirements or restrictions.
- Make multi-year commitments. Recovery takes a long time.
- Commit resources to mitigate future disasters in this area and in others, especially in lower capacity, rural areas.
- Build a relationship with the place you're giving to. Ask them what else you can do with your money and resources.